Law Articles | Add
||HOC | Add
Law - Public
- Of govt admin.:
iii) Select Committee; Departmental Scrutiny
iv) National Finance
=> Legislative Function
- Standing Committee
WHY Scrutiny? (2002)
1. Doctrine of SOP on Exec by Pt. => Check & balance
2. Ensure accountability via Pt to the electorate.
- According to John Stuart Mill:
"Instead of the functioning of the govt for which it is radically unfit, the proper office for a representative assembly - is to watch & control the govt, this means to obtain full justification of govt activity."
1) Question Time(QT)
¡E A time allocated for MP's to question Ministers
¡E There are categories of Q's allowed/disallowed
Disallowed - Imputation of private character
- Issues of Royal Family
Allowed - Admin of dept
- (?) public affairs
¡E Type of questions
- Starred Q: There's an order for specific info
- Unstarred Q: Normally asked at the end of business in order to raise a debate
- Supplementary Q: Normally asked in response to Minister's replies
- Open Q: A member can ask for a list of the PM's official engagements
- Private Notice Q: Urgent Questions about matter of public importance.
Ordinarily, QT is on Mon, Tues, Wed(2.30 - 3.30) and on Thurs(11.30 - 12.30)
PM - QT(3pm on Wed)
¡E Explain advantages and disadvantages(refer to pg 123 of planner)
(Note: Upon presenting the advantages/disadvantages: Conclude whether I think each is effective or not.)
¡E Conclusion: Make my own.
by Michael C on Wednesday, April 23, 2003